Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Job Reality

Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality. -Nikos Kazantzakis

So here’s my reality right now. I have a job (phew!) that I don’t necessarily love (bummer!). I’ve entertained the thought of a new job, applied and even interviewed. However, for some reason, those doors don’t seem to be opening all the way for me. So here I am, at a place in life where I’m not exactly sure what to do or where to go.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about my situation and I’ve come to the conclusion that there is a reason I need to be at my job right now and if I want to learn that reason, I need to make sure I’m being used. So, I really have been consciously making an effort at maintaining a positive attitude. My thinking is this: If I act like I hate my job, I’ll probably end up hating my job. But, if I tell myself that I love my job, I just might be successful in brainwashing myself into actually believing it. I started the brainwashing process by jotting down a few things that I really love about my job.

My list included things like: a. I work with super great, fun girls; b. The pay is great; c. The location is fantastic!; and d. There are thousands of people without jobs right now. I’m actually lucky to have one. Mmm… good ol’ point d.

As I sit here and complain about my job, there are laid off professionals with MBA’s applying for jobs at Starbucks. (No offense Starbucks, I secretly hope I can work for you one day!). The point is, as bad as my world may appear to be at times, there is always going to be someone who has it worse. There will always be someone with a worse job, a worse boss and a worse workload.

Being able to change the eyes which see my reality has given me a new appreciation for my job. I’m not sure what God is teaching me now, but I’ve certainly gained a new appreciation for what I do have.

3 comments:

  1. Kelly Zack CastilloMay 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM

    Maybe that's what God was teaching you =). And, number one, to help others gain that appreciation through your blog cuz I know you always help open my eyes. Your are amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these thoughts. such a great reminder to be thankful for what we do have rather than focusing on what we wish we had. you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete